This City & Guilds accredited module covers the food and hygiene standards necessary to meet the legal obligations of the EU’s Regulation 852/2004 Hygiene for Foodstuffs. This law requires food businesses to ensure all food handlers are supervised, instructed and trained in food hygiene.
This self-study training is appropriate for the full range of food businesses including restaurants, hotels, fast food outlets, takeaways, cafés, bars, kitchens, and the catering departments of hospitals, schools and colleges.
After completing this course learners should understand:
- Why food hygiene and safety is important
- Their personal and legal responsibilities
- The impact of food-borne illness
- How food becomes contaminated
- How to prevent contamination through good hygiene
- How to prevent contamination through safe temperatures and storage
- How to control food safety hazards in line with the EU’s Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) legislation
After completing this training there is an online test and, once successful, learners can download and print a certificate to be displayed in your workplace.
This module will provide catering staff with important knowledge on how to ensure their working practices comply with this internationally recognised food safety standard.
The sections covered include:
- Learning objectives and introduction
- Impact of food-borne illness – what food-borne illnesses are and how they affect us.
- Understanding food law – key legislation designed to protect food from contamination during its long journey from farm to fork.
- Food safety hazards and contamination – how food safety hazards arise, and how they can be prevented and controlled.
- Food preservation, storage and temperature control – how to preserve food, including appropriate storage and temperature controls.
- Personal hygiene – from hand washing to cross-contamination, we look at the importance of keeping hygiene standards high.
- Hygienic premises and equipment – how good housekeeping and equipment design help maintain pest-free conditions.
- Hazards Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) – EU law dictates that all businesses selling food have a documented safety management system in place based on its HACCP practice. This section takes you through what’s involved.
Approximately 2–3 hours. However, the learning is self-paced so the course can be completed at your convenience and your progress will be recorded throughout.
This course is important for anyone who works in contact with food or manages those in contact with food.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
This course has been accredited by City & Guilds.
Its content has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
Once you have successfully completed your course you can print your certificate. It should be displayed in your workplace to show that the appropriate industry training has taken place.